COVID-19 Updates from EveryStep
This page is updated on an on-going basis. Please check back regularly for various program updates.
EveryStep stands beside the people we serve. We continue to take steps to ensure our programs offer care and support to our patients, clients and their families throughout the COVID-19 crisis. We rely on credible sources for guidance: the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH), the Polk County Health Department, and the national organizations which regulate programs administered by EveryStep locally.
Please check this page regularly for updates on EveryStep's practices, policies and programs during the COVID-19 situation. We are prepared to address your concerns and questions. Please do not hesitate to call EveryStep at 800-806-9934 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For our Patients, Clients and Community Partners
EveryStep stands behind our promise to be with our patients and clients. EveryStep provides in-person care and home nurse and aide visits to hospice and home care patients who have been diagnosed with (or screen positive for) COVID-19; and continue to serve patients at our hospice houses in Des Moines and Creston.
Our staff is equipped with all necessary personal protective equipment (PPE) to ensure the safety of our patients, their families and our employees.
EveryStep reflects evolving CDC, IDPH and other regulatory guidance in the administration of our programs and in-person visits/services. We have also provided a wide range of telehealth support, virtual offerings, supply deliveries and resources to ensure all our patients, clients, their families and our program participants safely receive the care and support they need.
Effective July 1, 2021, many of the in-person volunteer services offered by EveryStep have resumed, but those services differ among each of EveryStep's programs. To learn whether a specific program currently offers in-person volunteer services - or alternatively, socially distanced support services - please email email@example.com. To view a list of volunteer opportunities that you can do from home, click here.
Public Access To EveryStep's Locations
EveryStep locations are currently accessible to the public, and masks are no longer required at most locations. However, we request visitors to self-screen for symptoms before entering our locations.
- Hospice House Visitors - EveryStep has revised its visitor guidelines at its Kavanagh House hospice home in Des Moines and Greater Regional Hospice Home in Creston.
- Our hospice houses will be open/unlocked from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday. To visit your loved one in the evening or on weekends, please ring the doorbell, and a staff person will greet you.
- Masks do not need to be worn in common areas of our hospice houses. If you do wear a mask, it should cover your nose, mouth and chin.
- When visiting a patient who is COVID-19 positive or who expresses possible COVID-19 symptoms, visitors must wear a mask in the patient's room and remain in the patient's room for the duration of the visit.
EveryStep’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
EveryStep is a health care and human services organization. The safety of our workforce and the people we serve is always our number one priority. EveryStep follows CDC guidelines and is committed to a robust exposure control program that is designed to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 to actively protect the health and safety of patients/clients served and their families as well as to promote workforce safety.
In November 2021, EveryStep implemented an employee vaccination mandate policy to decrease the risk of spread for flu and COVID-19 as an added protection. EveryStep promotes the COVID-19 vaccine as the most effective way to avoid serious health concerns for self and others.
EveryStep also honors employees’ religious beliefs and medical needs, and the organization offers a thoughtful vaccination exemption review process which respectfully considers employees’ exemption requests. For details about this process, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
EveryStep provides federally funded and regulated health care services. We receive oversight from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and other regulatory entities; and we honor and support their rules. EveryStep relies on credible sources for guidance, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH), the Polk County Health Department, and the national organizations which regulate programs administered by EveryStep locally.
Program and Event Announcements (links contain more details)
EveryStep has modified the following events and activities:
- Amanda the Panda Camp: Virtual options available.
- Support Groups: Virtual options available; some in-person options available. See also our events calendar.
- Care and Support Services (in-home and office visits): Virtual and in-person options available; call 515-558-9946 for details.
- EveryStep Giving Tree: Masks optional. Open for shopping and donations; updates shared on Facebook.
- Senior Companion: In-person temporarily suspended; assistance provided via phone and doorstep deliveries.
- Stork's Nest: Supplies available to participants via curbside pick-up; appointment only. Call 515-558-9950 or email Storksnest@EveryStep.org.