COVID-19 Updates from EveryStep
This page is updated on an on-going basis. Please check back regularly for various program updates.
EveryStep stands beside the people we serve, and we continue to take steps to ensure our programs continue to offer care and support to our patients, clients and their families throughout the COVID-19 crisis. Please continuously check this webpage for updates on EveryStep's practices, policies and programs during the COVID-19 situation. We are prepared to address your concerns and questions. Please do not hesitate to call EveryStep at 800-806-9934 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For our Patients, Clients and Stakeholders
EveryStep stands behind our promise to be with our patients and clients as we face the COVID-19 crisis, together. EveryStep provides in-person care and home nurse and aide visits to hospice and home care patients who have been diagnosed with (or screen positive for) COVID-19. Our staff is equipped with all necessary personal protective equipment (PPE) to ensure the safety of our patients, their families and our employees.
We have also transitioned to providing a wide range of telehealth support, virtual offerings, supply deliveries and resources to ensure all our patients, clients, their families and our program participants safely receive the care and support they need. Read or download our letter to patients, clients and stakeholders, which is updated regularly.
For our Community Partners, Referrers & Providers
Looking for a document that cites EveryStep’s response and emergency preparedness practices to the COVID-19 pandemic? Please download EveryStep’s COVID-19 resource for community partners for your reference. Please note that this document will be updated regularly; re-visit this page and download the latest version as needed.
Currently, most in-person volunteer services and visits have been suspended until further notice. Many of our volunteers are at high risk, so we are proactively taking steps to protect their health – and the health of the people we serve. To view a list of volunteer opportunities that you can do from home, click here.
Public Access To EveryStep's Locations
EveryStep locations are currently accessible to the public. Social distancing, masks and safety protocols are in place at all EveryStep locations, including EveryStep's hospice houses: Kavanagh House on 56th Street in Des Moines and Greater Regional Hospice Home in Creston. Visitors must comply with requested protocols to access the buildings. In addition, we continue to have vital staff present at every location, we can be reached by phone or fax, and we accept critical deliveries of supplies.
- Hospice House Visitors - EveryStep has revised its visitor guidelines at its Kavanagh House on 56th Street in Des Moines and Greater Regional Hospice Home in Creston. To protect your loved one and our healthcare workers:
- Our hospice houses will be open/unlocked from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday. To visit your loved one in the evening or on weekends, please ring the doorbell, and a staff person will greet you.
- Masks must be worn by all visitors at all times, for the duration of the visit. The mask should cover the nose, mouth and chin.
- We are limiting visits to only two visitors for each hospice house patient, at a time.
- All visitors to our hospice houses will have their temperature taken upon entrance. They will also be screened for being exposed to someone with COVID-19 or having any of the following symptoms: fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath (or other respiratory symptoms), or other signs of illness. If fever or respiratory symptoms are present, the visitor will be asked to leave and encouraged to seek medical attention. We will offer alternative mechanisms for the patient and visitor to interact, such as Microsoft Teams or simply by a phone call.
- Any visitors under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Visitors are asked to remain in the patient’s room as much as possible, and to keep personal belongings in an out-of-the-way area within the patient’s room.
- EveryStep Hospice COVID-19 Unit is closed - June 2, 2020 update: Thanks to successful community partnering in addressing the needs of dying patients with COVID-19, the EveryStep Hospice COVID-19 Unit is not currently needed. In spring 2020, the EveryStep Hospice COVID-19 Unit in EveryStep's Bright Kavanagh Center in east Des Moines was temporarily available to serve hospice patients with COVID-19. To learn more, click here. EveryStep continues to provide hospice care (and home care) to patients with COVID-19 in their homes.
Program and Event Announcements (links contain more details)
EveryStep has modified the following events and activities: