COVID-19 Updates from EveryStep
This page will be updated on an on-going basis. Please check back regularly for various program updates.
Hospice Unit for COVID-19 Patients
JUNE 2, 2020 UPDATE:Thanks to successful community partnering in addressing the needs of dying patients with COVID-19, the EveryStep Hospice COVID-19 Unit is not currently needed and is not receiving new referrals. However, the unit stands ready, should there be a significant and ongoing spike in the community need to house hospice patients diagnosed with COVID-19.
On April 27, EveryStep opened its EveryStep Hospice COVID-19 Unit in its Bright Kavanagh Center in east Des Moines, to specifically serve hospice patients with COVID-19. The unit is located in the Glazer-Burt Wing of EveryStep’s Bright Kavanagh Center, 3000 Easton Blvd., Des Moines. Learn more about this unit here.
- March 18, 2020 Update: EveryStep stands beside the people we serve, and we are taking steps to ensure our programs continue to offer care and support to our patients, clients and their families throughout the COVID-19 crisis. As the situation with COVID-19 changes, EveryStep has taken daily steps to make sure our workforce is informed, healthy and prepared to respond. Please continuously check this webpage for updates on EveryStep's practices, policies and programs during the COVID-19 situation. We are prepared to address your concerns and questions. Please do not hesitate to call EveryStep at 800-806-9934 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. View the PDF here.
- March 13, 2020 Update
A Letter to our Patients, Clients and Stakeholders
EveryStep stands behind our promise to be with our patients and clients as we face the COVID-19 crisis, together. Read or download our letter to patients, clients and stakeholders, which is updated regularly.
Public Access To EveryStep's Locations
We have made the decision to close all EveryStep offices to the public, EXCEPT the following locations:
- Kavanagh House on 56th Street, 900 56th St., Des Moines
- Greater Regional Hospice Home, 1111 Country Club Dr., Creston
EveryStep’s 9th Street offices, 1111 9th St., and Bright Kavanagh Center, 3000 Easton Blvd., both in Des Moines, will be closed to the public starting Friday, March 20.
Our offices in Centerville, Council Bluffs, Creston, Knoxville, Mount Ayr, Mt. Pleasant, Osceola, West Des Moines and Winterset, as well as Bright Kavanagh Center, will continue to have vital staff present, can be reached by phone or fax, and will accept critical deliveries of supplies. However, the offices will not be open to the general public.
Program and Event Announcements (links contain more details)
Effective March 17, EveryStep has cancelled or postponed all community events as follows:
- Amanda the Panda Camp: Postponed; fall date coming soon
- Amanda the Panda Support Groups: Virtual options available
- Care and Support Services (in-home and office visits): Temporarily suspended indefinitely
- Bucket Bash (Creston): More information pending
- EveryStep Giving Tree: Store hours for shopping and donations are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday'; donations accepted at the back door and a small numbers of shoppers allowed inside (must be older than 16 years of age and wear a mask)
- Game On!: More information pending
- Play and Learn: Activities available in Facebook group
- Senior Companion: Temporarily suspended indefinitely
- Stork's Nest: Restricted to Emergency Nest items only (cribs/mattresses, portable play yards, car seats, and diapers); deliveries being made on families' doorsteps on Thursdays between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m.
- Good Grief Golf: Occurring, with precautions, July 16 as planned
- Grief and Loss Support Groups: Most support groups indefinitely suspended; some local groups have virtual options
Effective March 16, all in-person volunteer services or visits have been suspended until further notice. Many of our volunteers are at high risk, so we are proactively taking steps to protect their health – and the health of the people we serve. To view a list of volunteer opportunities that you can do from home, click here.
Hospice House Visitors
Effective March 23, EveryStep has revised its visitor guidelines at its Kavanagh House on 56th Street in Des Moines and Greater Regional Hospice Home in Creston. To protect your loved one and our healthcare workers:
- Our hospice houses will be open/unlocked from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday. To visit your loved one in the evening or on weekends, please ring the doorbell, and a staff person will greet you.
- All visitors to our hospice houses will have their temperature taken upon entrance. They will also be screened for being exposed to someone with COVID-19 or having any of the following symptoms: fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath (or other respiratory symptoms), or other signs of illness. If fever or respiratory symptoms are present, the visitor will be asked to leave and encouraged to seek medical attention. We will offer alternative mechanisms for the patient and visitor to interact, such as Microsoft Teams or simply by a phone call.
- We are limiting entry to only two visitors for each hospice house patient, at a time.
- Because children don’t always show typical symptoms of the virus (fever and cough), we are limiting access to adults 18 years or older. We recognize that it may be important for some children to visit a loved one for closure. If you feel such a need exists, please ask to speak with the hospice house director or other leader on staff, who can safely accommodate your request.
- Visitors are asked to remain in the patient’s room as much as possible, and to keep personal belongings in an out-of-the-way area within the patient’s room.
Attention: Community Partners, Referrers & Providers
Looking for a document that cites EveryStep’s response and emergency preparedness practices to the COVID-19 pandemic? Please download EveryStep’s COVID-19 resource for community partners for your reference. Please note that this document will be updated regularly; re-visit this page and download the latest version as needed.