UPDATE: Effective March 16, all in-person volunteer services or visits have been suspended until further notice. Many of our volunteers are at high risk, so we are proactively taking steps to protect their health – and the health of the people we serve. To view information about cancellations and rescheduling regarding EveryStep program and events, please visit https://www.everystep.org/about/covid19.
Volunteers are vital to EveryStep.
In fact, there are four times as many volunteers as there are employees. Each patient and family member served by EveryStep receives care from a team of staff and volunteers who provide expert medical care, pain management, emotional support and spiritual guidance. Volunteers play an important role, enhancing quality of life for patients and their families.
Across our organization, hundreds of volunteers offer care, support, help and compassion. Our volunteers have completed thorough training and passed thorough background checks.
Hospice Volunteering Opportunities
- Companionship. Volunteers can read to hospice patients, play cards or just offer a comforting presence.
- Homemaking Duties. Volunteers can assist patients and their families with homemaking tasks and outdoor work.
- Run Errands. Volunteers can help run errands.
- Transportation. Hospice volunteers can take patients to doctor appointments and deliver supplies.
- Veteran-to-Veteran Program. Our Veteran-to-Veteran Program is a special service pairing Veterans who are volunteers with patients who have served our country. If you are a Veteran, a specialized Veteran-to-Veteran volunteer can provide companionship while talking, reading and sitting with patients. EveryStep is recognized as a Level Four Partner through We Honor Veterans.
- Music. Volunteers can sing, play musical instruments or play CDs for patients' musical enjoyment.
- Life Review. Specially trained volunteers interview patients about their lives. The conversations are recorded and given to patients/families as a gift for a long-lasting memory.
- Story Book. A specially trained volunteer assists the patient by recording the patient reading a story that can then be shared for generations to come. The patient and family are given the CD and the book for a keep sake.
- Community Outreach. Volunteers help spread the word about our mission at community events and speaking engagements
- 11th Hour Program. Specially trained volunteers can provide a quiet presence during the final hours of life, providing companionship and support for family members through our 11th Hour Program.
EveryStep Giving Tree Thrift Store Volunteers
Sales and donations at the EveryStep Giving Tree Thrift Store support programs benefiting our services. If you are energetic and seek a fun way to support a great mission, we invite you to become a thrift store volunteer! To learn more, call (515) 270-2414 or visit EveryStep Giving Tree.
Care & Support Volunteers
EveryStep Care & Support Services offers many types of volunteering experiences that benefit homebound seniors, help young people, support struggling families and strengthen connections between generations.
Volunteers support important projects at EveryStep including hosting baby showers for mothers in need, performing office tasks, assisting with special events, helping to promote our services through public speaking, wrapping gifts for families during the holidays, helping with home improvement projects for the elderly and more.
- Senior Companion volunteers are seniors who offer help and support to homebound seniors and earn a modest income for their time and compassion. Call (515) 558-9957 for more information.
- Storybook Project volunteers help incarcerated parents and their children stay connected through reading. To learn more, call (515) 288-1516 and ask for information about volunteering for Storybook Project.
- Stork's Nest volunteers host baby showers to help stock baby items for the Stork's Nest shelves. Contact the Stork's Nest at (515) 558-9950 to learn how you can help.
Grief & Loss Volunteers
Our Grief & Loss programs are looking for volunteers to help with a variety of tasks. Volunteers can help with our support groups and various tasks to help support our Amanda the Panda program. To volunteer for our Amanda the Panda program, please download and complete our Volunteer Application.
- Support group volunteer - help facilitate support group, provide meals and more (training is provided)
- Amanda the Panda Grief & Loss Camp - help at our overnight camp twice per year. Various volunteer roles are available!
- Cheer Box Program volunteer - help to wrap and/or deliver cheer boxes across Iowa