3226 University Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50311
Closed to walk-ins. All services are available over the phone.
LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program)
- A program designed to aid low-income families in the payment of a portion of their heating costs for the winter season, to promote energy awareness and to encourage a reduction of energy usage through energy efficiency and client education.
- Payments are based on family income, demographic factors, and fuel type.
- Availability: Applications begin October 1st, 2020 for elderly, disabled, and those with a disconnect notice. All other people can apply from November 1st until April 30th, 2021.
- Eligibility: Residents of Boone, Jasper, Marion, Polk and Warren counties with income less than 175% Federal Poverty Level. If over 175% Federal Poverty Level and have medical expenses you may still qualify for LIHEAP.
- Other: Applications are taken over the phone and by mail. Applications available on the IMPACT website. Provide proof of social security numbers for all household members, proof of income over the last 30 days, and copies of recent utility bills. Available to homeowners and renters. LIHEAP applications also submitted to the Weatherization Program.
- Services provided in partnership with Polk County Public Works. Helps to tighten and insulate homes against the elements and to assure the safety of appliances by providing health and safety checks, appliance replacement, home insulation, minor repairs, and client education.
- Availability: Applications accepted year-round.
- Eligibility: Income guidelines are at 200% Federal Poverty Level. Households eligible for LIHEAP are automatically put on a waiting list for this program. Households can exclusively apply for this program.
- EMBRACE is a financial assistance program funded by the Des Moines Register that can provide up to $500 towards the purchase of; household items, appliances, mattresses, car repairs, or tires. IMPACT will notify families of approval or denial in March.
- Availability: Applications open from November 30, 2020 until January 31, 2021.
- Eligibility: Residents of Boone, Jasper, Marion, Polk and Warren counties with income less than 200% Federal Poverty Level.
- Other: Applications available on the website. They can be emailed to email@example.com, or mailed to the address above, Attn: Embrace.This program is first-come, first-served and the Des Moines Register may contact you for a story if you are selected for the program. If you would like to share your story, please complete page 2 of the application.