UPDATE: EveryStep’s top priority is the safety and health of its employees, volunteers, the people in our care, and the people who support us. All Grief & Loss Support Groups are temporarily suspended indefinitely. Amanda the Panda grief groups are now available virtually (click here to register). To view information about cancellations and rescheduling regarding EveryStep program and events, please visit www.everystep.org/about/covid19.
Grief & Loss Support Services
EveryStep Grief & Loss Services offers a variety of grief support opportunities provided at no cost for anyone in the community. Available to individuals and families of all ages, our services include the following:
|Amanda the Panda grief camps
||Monthly and quarterly support groups
||Eight-week educational support groups
Life after the loss of a loved one is a difficult time of adjustment. At EveryStep, we are honored to listen to your story and walk with you during your time of sorrow and to help you navigate the many feelings associated with loss, such as sadness, anger, frustration, shock, numbness, denial, guilt, emotional distancing, lack of interest and confidence, relationship difficulties, anxiety and panic. Please consider using these resources for more information about grief processes for different age groups.
Grief Support Groups
Support groups are hosted at EveryStep Hospice locations in eight Iowa communities and at the EveryStep Grief & Loss Services office (home of Amanda the Panda) in West Des Moines. EveryStep Grief & Loss Services' bereavement counselors are available to meet with families or visit by phone. These services are available to anyone, not limited to hospice patients’ families. The counselor can provide families with information or simply lend a friendly ear. All support groups are free and open to the public. To learn what services are available in your area, visit our events calendar or call an EveryStep location near you.
|Centerville: (641) 856-5502
||Council Bluffs: (712) 325-6802
|Des Moines: (515) 333-5810
||Knoxville: (641) 842-4312
|Mount Ayr: (641) 464-2088
||Mount Pleasant: (319) 385-4472
|Osceola: (641) 342-2888
||Perry: (515) 465-4705
|West Des Moines/Amanda the Panda: (515) 223-4847
Types of Support Groups
Understanding Your Grief
- An eight-week educational and support program offered year-round.
- Offered to adults.
- Hosted at or near our various hospice offices.
- Led by our expert bereavement counselors.
- Facilitates the basic skills needed to use grief as an opportunity for growth.
- Participants receive a free copy of Alan Wolfelt's book, "Understanding Your Grief," and learn about the 10 essential touchstones for finding hope and healing through loss.
Touching Our Grief
- A monthly grief support group.
- Open to adults who have suffered the loss of a family member or friend and are seeking support and education.
- Led by our expert bereavement counselors who offer a safe place to give and receive support from others.
Braving Grief Peer Support Groups
- Held at the EveryStep Grief & Loss Services office (home of Amanda the Panda) in West Des Moines.
- Offered to children (kindergarten and above), teens, and adults.
- Includes dinner.
- Includes small groups divided by age.
- Age-appropriate activities that facilitate discussion and sharing.
- Childcare is available for children preschool-age and below upon request.
- Trained volunteers lead each group with the goal of promoting peer support and connectivity.
Amanda the Panda
Our Amanda the Panda program offers a number of services. Click the button below to learn what Amanda the Panda can do for your and your family.
Support Our Grief & Loss Services
There are a number of way to show your support for EveryStep's Grief & Loss Programs. Click the options below to learn more.
|Become an Amanda the Panda volunteer: Volunteers help with a variety of tasks and interact with our camp participants to create a safe, comforting environment. Volunteers are also needed to help provide meals for support groups. We have a variety of volunteer positions available, and many of them do not require previous experience. To learn more about these opportunities, call (515) 223-4847 or email Megan at MMondt@everystep.org.
|Purchase Items from our Wish List: Do Want to give something tangible to EveryStep's Amanda the Panda program? Check out our wish list on Amazon and help us stock needed items for our grief support programs!
|Create a DIY Fundraiser: Create a DIY Fundraiser: Help us continue to offer EveryStep's support services at no cost to participants. You can create your own personal fundraising campaign to benefit our mission! Using our easy online tools, you can set up an personal fundraiser to share your story, set goals, and invite your family and friends to honor your past love one with a donation on platforms that work for you. Click here to get started.
Do you have questions for our Grief & Loss team? Please call (515) 223-4847 or email email@example.com.